Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, January 14, 2013

Young and In Charge: Jennifer Osarenkhoe

Interviewing the YICs for the past months has been fun, but it has also been fully loaded with lessons. With every interview I learn something new, from our YICs, that is the essence of these interviews, to inspire and to teach. Meet our beautiful young person of the week, Jen, accountant turned fashion designer. The lesson I took away from today's interview is, building a successful business isn't only about the talent, it is also about knowing your market. Jen took in the situation around her and decided to take her business online and in the process built one of Nigeria's first and fastest growing online fashion retail store. Did I mention that she designed the outfit of Miss Gombe in the 2012 Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, Miss Antoinette Igebu, who went ahead to become Miss La Casera 2012.

Tell us a little about yourself?
 Hehehe, I never know how to answer these questions, I'm Jen, accounting graduate turned Obioma, I love fashion, food, R'n'B. Proudly Nigerian from Edo state... think that's all the bases covered.




What was growing up like?
It was amazing, I always say I got the best of both worlds, I was fortunate enough but I also went to a semi rough boarding school which gave me loads of experiences on real life, last kid and the only girl with two elder brothers.

Tell us a little about your educational background?
 I have a degree in Accounting and Finance from Newcastle.

So what is Esosa Stores all about?
What does it mean and how did the name come about?
I like to call it E-S-O-S-A but no one ever pays me any mind hehehe, we are an online retail brand, providing affordable spot on trend female apparel to the Nigerian consumer, our products range from smart wear to day wear, evening wear and even lounge wear all produced locally in Nigeria. We also offer a bespoke bridal service offering wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses.
The name actually has a funny story, I had researched loads of fancy Latin names and put them in little pieces of paper in a raffle sock to pick from, when a close friend challenged me, that if I was really going to put my all into it I should put my name on the brand. I've always believed in separating a business entity from its founder so I was really hesitant, plus I like to stay private, but I thought my middle name would be somewhat discreet, so i threw it in the sock for good measure, gave my mum and two other prayerful auntie's to pick from d sock and all three picked EsOsa, so much for my fancy latin dreams

How did you go from Finance to Fashion?
It wasn't premeditated that's for sure, I had moved back from uni spent loads of money shopping for corporate Nigeria, then after a while I got bored of d cloths and needed bright colors in my closet so I made a few dresses with my mums tailor, wore those dresses to work and people kept complementing me, I never got that many compliments when I wore my fancy janded outfits hehehe, and when I told people I'd made them, people started asking if I could organize dresses for them.

Why did you decide to take your business online alone as opposed to have a fashion shop?
We live in a really traffic heavy city, most people work 7am-6pm spend 2 hours trying to get back home, weekends are parked with social events, when do u find the time to go to the high streets to shop, with the online portal your order comes right to your doorstep and saves u the Lagos hassle, also the online portal has no geographic restrictions.

What is your typical day like?
 Wake up, prayers, morning chores, go to the workshop and review what production orders are due in on the day,follow up with deliveries due in on the day with our courier partners, help with garment cutting and I just keep shuttling between the workshop and Bridal consultations, BBM consultations and trend research.

What do you love most about you what you do? 
The first sample production, Photo shoots and Bridal consultations, I have met so many amazing young women with amazing stories

What has been your best work ever?
Ahhh, I'd say that's yet to come.

What are the difficulties involved?
Making sure the business side of fashion tallies with the creative side, the struggle to stay affordable to the average consumer and profitable enough to grow the business, power, human capital.

If you weren't doing this, what would you have been doing?
Management consulting.

Have you ever felt like giving up on Esosa Stores?
OmG soooo many times!!!

Who or what inspires you?
My mum and the dream to have locally produced main street fashion.

Considering the level of success you have attained, youths out there would be itching to know how old you are.
Hehehehe, I wouldn't say I've attained that yet, but I am 24

Asides work, what do you do for fun?
Eat, Eat, watch ratchet tv, read business dailies, did I mention eat in there hehehe.

Advice to youths that wish to follow in your footsteps.
Pray, be determined and ready for the struggle, get a great support system.

Where do you see yourself and Esosa Stores five years from now?
God willing offering both apparel, leather wear and accessories and serving fashion lovers in Africa as well.

Lovely interview with Jen, now for some pictures.











Esosa Stores can be reached on:
Twitter- https://twitter.com/EsOsa__
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/esosa.stores?ref=ts&fref=ts
Email esosastores@hotmail.com
Pin: 2369244D
Phone Number : 07042181381
Website- http://www.esosastores.com/

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my girl, so proud of you....

ivie said...

Dats our Jenny o! K! & our iphie 2o. *dancnazonto* Muaaahhhhh!

Anonymous said...

Go gurl!!!we're proud of u.kip up d good work.Airo.

Anonymous said...

Woow. I am challenged! Way to go Esosa. Adesuwa

Anonymous said...

Edo state is lining up to take over the fashion scene! I like em outfits. Good job guys!
O. T. I. S.

Anonymous said...

Congrats girl,meet you on top;-)

onome said...

Iphie and Jenny weldone, proud of u both

Pheee said...

Thank you guys.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jen

Oseyi Okoh said...

Inspiring subject, inspiring interview.
EsOsa is here to stay! The brand is leading us somewhere, proudly I'd follow.
Miss Manuelz? Great job!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us