Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Monday, August 26, 2013

Young and In Charge: Adesuwa Iluobe

Today's interview is one that is really special to the blog, our young person of the week is one half of the blogging duo that bring you the lovely articles and interviews. If I am Abj loving, she is definitely Abuja living, Lol. She is a a bundle of talent, who decided to chase her dreams and cannot be deterred by the headaches that come with following her dream. A true child of the 90s, her family's support means everything to her and they are very important to her success as a lawyer, fashion designer, writer and blogger. Meet our young person of the week, Adesuwa Iluobe, lawyer, fashion designer, writer and blogger.

Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Iluobe Adesuwa Ehinome Maryanne. I am a Nigerian from Esan, Esan central local government. I am a legal practitioner who has a passion for fashion, literature and writing.


What was growing up like?

I have fond memories of my childhood. I had a sheltered childhood. I was born in Lagos and attented kindergarten, nursery and Primary school there. My parents are caring, loving and strict I must add. They ensured we were brought up properly and never compromised good morals. I fell in love with Literature in my childhood courtesy of my Father, and it has stuck since. By the time I was six years old I was reading Enid Blyton’s books, Malory towers, St Clares. Books books books, that’s all I was about. I would do my assignments at school, so I could read from the time Mum came to pick us up in the car till late at night….I remember Yvonne Ifode, my Primary two class mate she used to lend me these books, so I read them and return the next day. Reading was a huge part of my childhood..,no regrets. I graduated to drawing comics (yes! I can draw quite well) and stories with short chapters, I would draw over 20leaves of comics with dialogues and then give my school mates to read , they almost never returned them, if only I knew that those were priceless works, I would not have let them go that easily. Then I spared time to cook sand and ride around the compound with my siblings, of course you dare not cross the gate, else you get caned. I remember tales by moon light, waiting for the television stations to start around 4pm and all that…weekend outings with family, Lagos was not as jam packed as it is today and yet we complained then. So child hood was a bliss, there were games to play, educative programmes to watch, pranks to pull and all that, the world was not so digitalised like it is now, so much most kids nowadays are no longer creative, most cannot make paper guns or buy dolls any more or draw ninja turtle, cook sand…. Instead they want phones and gadgets! …it is just so pathetic.


Tell us a little about your educational background.

I started school when I was just one and half. Spent a year at Dammyville Kindergaten at Surulere, then started Nursery and primary School at the Fountain school Adelabu Surulere as well. I left in Primary five and proceeded to Federal Government College Benin City for six years. My future ambition as a child was to be a writer, so I really wanted to study English Language and Literature my first love, but my dad felt it was better to read something professional. You see then, once you read Law, medicine and so on you just flew, but no one knew that Nigeria would get to that point that what you studied wouldn't matter if you have no initiative, innovation or common sense. Yes! So I studied Law and I have no regrets anyway, but I still yearn to study English and literature. Then, I went to Law school, Bwari campus, got called to the prestigious Nigerian Bar. During NYSC I did a six months  course in Spanish…si!

Do you regret giving up on studying English? Do you see yourself returning to school to pursue that dream?

For me, Law is a great background any individual could have. It has exposed me to a lot of knowledge and I cannot trade that for anything,
But yes! I used to regret then. I mean! I slaved for law. Not like English, which would have been easier but then, I loved and still love English and Literature (I like to add).  So yes of course, any opportunity I get to go back to school to study it, I will embrace it.

Where did you draw the courage to from, going ahead to pursue your dream despite your parents’ wish for you to pursue a career in law?

Seams wasn't so much of a longstanding dream. I didn’t have sewing skills as a child, though I was quite good with needle and thread…(laughs). Well, I love fashion and I got tired of just admiring them on magazines, I knew there was more in me about fashion than just wearing it. Then one day I learnt Wuraola Obiegbu a lady in my class in the University had learnt to make clothes! Oh wow! I was like oh so it is possible to be a lawyer and do such stuff. That was it…my mind was made up, I was going to learn to make pretty dresses. Along the way, this dream began to dwindle, I had school work to battle with, but I kept dreaming…I saw myself on runways with models strutting about in my designs made with my hands. I shared this dream with some people but no one believed in it. Someone even said that it was impossible to pursue a career and handiwork...that didn't deter me anyway.

So it continued and I started NYSC and my first allowee got me thinking…the way the money went I could not even explain. I knew I had to invest. I thought and thought and of course, that little voice reminded me about fashion. Eureka! I would invest in me, So, I started asking around for fashion schools and one my friends Tobe Chiezie, directed me to EllaBernard School of Fashion, Area 1 Abuja.  So there you have it….there went my allowee. (laughs).

So from all I have said,  the fact that someone did something I was afraid of doing gave me the courage to pursue my dream.

Has following your dreams been worth it?

Oh yes! It has been worth it. It has been very trying too and still very difficult. I have learnt to go for what I want and believe in…after I giving English up, I knew that could never happen to me again.

So what is S.e.A.m.S all about? What does it mean and how did the name come about?

S.e.A.m.S is not an initial for something else as most people think, I just liked writing ‘seams’ with the dots and it is as the name implies. A seam is the joining where two or more layers of fabric, leather or other materials are held together with stitches. So look at your clothes, those very lines are seams. Making straight seams were my most challenging times at sewing school…without seams you have no sewed clothes…so I glued to d name. S.e.A.m.S Clothiers.

How did you go from reading law to tailoring?

I didn’t go from law to tailoring. I finished studying law and diverted a little (laughs). Seriously, that is how I put it. Education is very important you know…our parents invest so much so we can be educated. Even if your parents are the most 'uncaring parents in the world' as some people like to think, so far as they are sweating it out to give you education, they care. Just grab it and make the most of it. That you do not like a course is not enough reason to fail. Try hard and when you are convinced it is really not for you, seek counselling, identify what you want and go for it. Do not rest on your oars because you didn’t get what you wanted, even you would blame yourself in the nearest future for that. Maximize what you have at hand.


Do you see yourself mixing the both of them?

I am already mixing them. I am into corporate practice. I am the Company Secretary of Compliance Professionals Plc, a consulting firm and if you know about consulting, you know it is work! Then having to be the Admin personnel in charge, I scuttle between CAC and my office just so to make sure we are in order, especially because we are still in our start up stage. I work daytime and sew while everyone is asleep. What do you call that? Mixing of course!

How has the experience been like?

Hectic! But rewarding. I get to be screamed at for mistakes on people’s clothes and as we all know, ladies always make you remember your wrongs. I would cry a times, make a solid promise to give up sewing but hey! I have sewn for a year and half, and 75% has been good. I am sorry if your clothes were part of the 25%, there are risks in every business. So yes, it has been difficult, annoying, brain tasking…but fulfilling. I would rather be doing this knowing am getting closer to that runway with all the lights and models in my designs. I would take the heat, all it does is make me remember where my passion lies.


You recently added blogger to your portfolio, what inspired that move and what has the experience been like?

Blogging! It has been a wonderful experience with Ify Obiechina. She first introduced me to blogging. Funny how we were in the same school and never imagined that we would work together. I love to write, that’s where the love to blog about issues came up. The passion for change for Nigeria too spurred it..and am using writing to do my bit to make that change happen.

What is your typical day like?

I wake up at 5am,  pray with my family, go to work. Close between 5pm-7pm. I get home, eat, gist with my family and then get on my machine till say 12/1am or more. It is consuming.

What do you love the most about what you do?

Seeing my work on my clients is a priceless feeling...I hardly believe myself a times. I am also happy that as a woman am equipped with something I can do with my hands, it breeds confidence.

What has been your best work ever?
My best work ever is the wedding gown featured on this page. I did it one fateful saturday...by 1pm I was done. I made it for a photo shoot, am gaming to major in bridals

What are the difficulties involved?

Customers who do not know what they want. They tell you make this, and yet have another style in their mind's eye. Also, at first I tried to please everyone to finish as they want it, but it caused issues for me, I was always tired and made mistakes. So now I take my time to deliver good and neat work. Also I work with moods, I have learnt never to sew when not in the mood for it, when I do I keep loosening and re-stiching... its all about the mind and where it is. Then another issue is pricing. People just see you as a road side tailor and would expect the world for almost nothing...its disheartening considering the stress. Another issue is the economic situation, every entrepreneur is groaning. There is more you need to spend for than to save...let's not even go into the power failure aspect. I would overcome!

If you weren’t doing this, what would you have been doing?

I am doing everything I want to do. I am a dressmaker, I write, I am planning on doing something in English and Lit, I am pursuing a career with an aim to becoming a professional company secretary in Nigeria...even Bill gates leans heavily on his company secretary. We are the live wire of any company. I am still birthing dreams and ideas.

Have you ever felt like giving up on your dreams? If you have, what motivated you to carry on.

Yes, loads of times..loads! But when I remember the goal, I just get back up and continue..I feel am no where near, but am on track.

Who or what inspires you?
GOD fore mostly. Seriously HE is awesome. By what power would I have done all these? Or by what magic do these initiatives come? Its from HIM and only HIM! Then HE used great people like my family, my siblings help a lot to help get supplies for sewing. Also, friends like Tony, Leo, Sophie, Eniola, to ensure ma dream never died. I cannot forget Aisha! You are S.e.A.m.S best client ever! She encourages me a lot! Thank you all!

Considering the level of success you have attained, youths out there would be itching to know how old you are.

Am just young enough...lol!

Asides work, what do you do for fun?
I read fiction...and sleeep! Learn new things, then hang out with friends.

Advice for youths that wish to follow in your footsteps, especially young Nigerians that want to follow their dreams despite their parents’ wishes, any advice on how to handle it?

We need the blessings of our parents in everything. No matter. How nice your idea is, if you go about it by rebelling with them, you may never achieve it in time. If your parents are stuck to their notions, pray about it, and prove to them that what you want to do is going to be worth the while. For me I simply just multi-task (laughs)..so everyone is at peace.

Be prayerful, be good when people are not watching, your good deeds always speak for you when you least expect..so also bad deeds..so choose.

Lastly please, cast away this fast-money making syndrome from your minds! Its foolishness. Work hard! Let GOD see your work and zeal and add grace that would shoot you up! Stop the shortcuts!... Our little cut-corners is killing Nigeria and now we all want to run away, meanwhile what we seek in other parts of the world is right here.  Let's be good in our little ways. Nigeria would be better for it.

Where do you see yourself and S.e.A.m.S five years from now?

I see an outfit with proper management structure whose only goal is to clothe our client with the best...nationally and internationally! To do this I see me employing more hands in the nearest future, its about time.

Watch out for me as a writer too and for positive projects.

Then I would give back to society,  many people are in need. I plan to own an institute where people could acquire skills that could sustain them, skills that could make them soar, depending on how focused they are. This would be free of charge.

Time for some pictures





















Adesuwa can be reached through the following means:
Email- adesuwailuobe@gmail.com
Facebook- Adesuwa Iluobe
Twitter- @ehinome
Phone number- 08036333687


29 comments:

Nos said...

Not sure what "A true child of the 90's" meant up there. But if that has to do with her age, then she's probably one of the youngest achievers around.
Welldone girl. Godspeed.

PS: I just got my 1st job (after NYSC) as an Admin personnel in charge in a fast growing firm. I have a science background. Any tips on job roles/duties & required skills to succeed will be greatly appreciated. Muchas Gracias.

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot.
1st you should learn how to file documents appropriately. When it comes to admin duties its basically record,reports and logistics. So you could learn how to keep accurate records, sounds trivial but very important. You need to be acquitted with business writing (minutes,proposals,memos,letters and so on), communication skills and simple finance skills 4 non-finance personnel,learn to manage your boss or bosses, negotiation skills. After working for about a month, ask to be evaluated. Then you see your weak areas. Then apply that you be trained in those areas. Where your firm can't fund this go online,ask questions, get books...you would be fine. Adesuwa

Anonymous said...


I forgot to add that trainings on personal effectiveness would really help too. Administration is tasking and you could overwhelmed. Having a diary is a must! Lol. Adesuwa

Anonymous said...

Sue Sue.. yu are a gift to dis generation.. Leo

Nos said...

Thank you so much Adesuwa! I'll cherish & apply these tips. God bless.

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know her in person, I'd have scoffed at this interview buh I do so... *raises glass*...that's the way to go y'all! This is why we are youths. This is why we are born blessed and this is why the world will change. Hopefully I remember my story enough to tell it one day.
God go make you bigger...
Ifeyinwa.

Anonymous said...

My paadi doing it big....so proud of you and your achievements so far.
Huge inspiration for me to aim higher and not drop the ball.
Tosin O.

Anonymous said...

I see you achieving even greater things in life. Weldon. Lovely Designs uv gat there also. Barr. Tsokwa

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed by ur handwork bunky, the wedding gown is awesome, ur work is amazing, all the best, may God Almighty continue to strengthen,inspire u and bless your handwork. Perpetue.A

Anonymous said...

well done dear you have come a long way from when we first met. I remember you mad at yourself for not getting it straight away but look your creations are amazing. Your daily routine is impressive and so are your garments. keep it up and don't ever think of quitting it'll be well worth it in the end. Godbless xx

Anonymous said...

Hi dear, you're really doing a great job Adesuwa! Keep it up and God I will surely bless you as you go higher. Smile

Anonymous said...

Hi dear, you're really doing a great job Adesuwa! Keep it up and God I will surely bless you as you go higher. Smile Collins

Unknown said...

...There goes my one and only sis! Love u loads...God bless u much and all of us too. Osemudiamen Iluobe

Anonymous said...

Cute nd lovely designs....keep up wiv ur hardwork,,vis is rily impressive...more power 2 ur elbow!!

Anonymous said...

Nice work dear keep it up...I love d wedding gown looks so great and unique.

Oseyi Okoh said...

I love the finishing on the ankara et al, they are lovely. The wedding gown is dreamy, i like. You are doing something amazing, please continue.

Adesuwa said...

You are welcome!

Adesuwa said...

Thanks Ify!

Adesuwa said...

Thanks padi mi

Adesuwa said...

Thanks Sechy!

Adesuwa said...

Thanks Perpetue!

Adesuwa said...

Thanks alot! I wish you wrote your name

Adesuwa said...

Amen! thanks

Adesuwa said...

I love you sis! muah!

Adesuwa said...

Gracias

Adesuwa said...

Thanks Oseyi

Adesuwa said...

Thanksss

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration. Stephen.

Unknown said...

Adesuwa! Cheering you all the way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us