Advertise with us, click to learn how.

Advertise with us, click to learn how.
Contact abjloving@gmail.com and adesuwailuobe@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

JUST MY 2 KOBO: WaZoBia


BY IPHIE OBIECHINA

Have you ever been amongst a group of people, when suddenly, the people who understand a common language switch to that language? They decide it is ok to ignore the language understood by everyone in the group, that common language usually being English. There is nothing as rude and annoying as switching to a language understood by a select few in the group.

I grew up in Abuja and by the time I was in the University, I was convinced that this was a habit common to the Hausas. I had friends who would be gisting with you in English one minute and the moment their Hausa speaking compatriot was sighted, every single word of English that they ever learned, escapes from their vocabulary. I have friends that would tell you it's the Ibos that are fond of doing this; others would say the Yorubas were kings in the game. As further studies and youth service took me to other parts of the country, I realised it was a trait common to every tribe, members of the big three being the most guilty. 

We are all guilty of this bad habit, well technically I am not, LOL, I am too ashamed to speak my own funny version of Igbo with anyone who isn’t family, especially not in public. Not only is this habit rude and annoying, it also has a way of making a person who doesn't understand the language being spoken, feel like he is being talked about or even worse being insulted. It is a common practice in Nigerian offices to find members of the same tribe speaking their language in an office that is commonly shared by all. In some countries it is considered to be an insult to speak a language that is not commonly understood by all those who are present, there are even consequences in some cases.

Now, I am in no way trying to discourage people from speaking our indigenous languages. Research has shown that our cultures and languages are gradually dying out, the Igbo language being the fastest. Come on, saving our indigenous languages doesn’t mean you have to be rude. It can be done without making others feel left out. Our languages can be spoken in our homes or at gatherings where all who are present understand the language. Personally, when people switch to a language I don’t understand, I excuse myself, I believe you do not want me to be a part of the conversation anymore.

My fellow Nigerians, don’t be rude, speak a language that can be spoken and understood by all when you are in a diverse group. Thank you.

Have you ever been in a group when this happened, how did you feel about it, how did you react? Please share your experience with us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click to help spread the word about us